Supreme KTV, Far East Shopping Centre Ken WeChat Banner SingThai Line Stickers, Tryst Teerak, Club Tryst, Teerak
Uber, Grabtaxi, Singapore SingThai Shirt, Rubba, I feel like pablo, kanye west, yeezy

OUR MOTTO & DISCLAIMER: ONE MAN'S PRATA, IS ANOTHER MAN'S PIZZA.

ONE MAN'S MEAT, IS ANOTHER MAN'S POISON.

November 21, 2017, 10:29:11 PM

Author Topic: General Qns on Learning Thai | Simple Phrases  (Read 10376 times)

Offline 2017

• STD
  • Chief Gong Tao Counsellor
  • Gong Tao Karma +1165/-1000
General Qns on Learning Thai | Simple Phrases
« on: August 16, 2011, 04:05:10 AM »
As there are a lot of repeat posts and qns, this will be a sticky thread for general questions and also if you like to find out about simple phrases.

Thanx. Keep our learning going, dont spam or create multiple threads.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:08:05 AM by admin*xposed »

Offline si geena

• Drunk Flower Boy
  • Gong Tao Karma +12/-1
Re: General Qns on Learning Thai | Simple Phrases
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:55:23 PM »
Since this is stickied, hopefully it gets visited first by anyone who wants to figure out the bits and pieces of thai they came across.

Firstly, there are some websites which are very very useful and I would reccommend anyone who is in the early- intermediate levels to visit on a consistent basis.

http://www.thai-language.com

This website has a helpful on-line dictionary resource. Use it if you have a short Thai phrase you want to figure out. Use the Lookup bar on the top left corner. It is constantly updated and I find it very relevant to learning.

http://www.thai2english.com/online/

Another on-line translator. This used to be more relevant but I've grown away from it. Do use it as a 2nd opinion if you find that thai-language.com doesn't provide sufficient understanding.

These 2 above are of pretty good quality. The easiest thing about learning Thai is that resources for it are easily available. Compare that with a Thai trying to learn Singlish. It's not as accessible.

Recently I found a resource of text, which I used to refer heavily to. It used to cost me $30-50 to photocopy the entire book. Now, it's available for free online.

http://www.lyndonhill.com/FunThai/CONTENTS.html
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:48:51 AM by si geena »

Offline ◩ngoh◪

• Gong Tao No More!
  • Gong Tao Karma +210/-87
  • BKK/HCMC
    • http://www.nothingbettertodo.net
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 06:30:23 AM »
these are the very 2 sites that i referred to very frequently last time.. hehe

very very useful indeed. vulgarities included.

SingThaiDisco_V2

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 06:30:23 AM »

Offline si geena

• Drunk Flower Boy
  • Gong Tao Karma +12/-1
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 03:32:04 AM »
Let's do the basics first.

Remember the first time you heard a Thai spoke to you? And there was this sing-song rhythm to the words? Or why when they speak English, they tend to have this funny accent, of sounding oddly tonal in a non-tonal language.

Yes. We are going to talk about Tones. Thai is tonal, and this is an inevitable part of learning the language. Might as well tackle it head on and early on.

Luckily, modern Central Thai only has 5 tones, well, we'll number them but a better way is to describe them by their tonal effects.

NumberToneThai
0Common/Midเสียงสามัญ
1Lowเสียงเอก
2Fallingเสียงโท
3Highเสียงตรี
4Risingเสียงจัตวา

The reason the first tone in the series is numbered 0 is because the others have been numbered 1 to 4, in Pali. Yes, เอก โท ตรี จัตวา are numbers themselves, and are still in present use in Thai. Often, we call the Leading Actor and Actress in movies as พระเอก นางเอก

โท has fallen out of use but it was once used instead of สอง when calling a number, back in the days when people still had to dial a number through a operator. Connectivity was poor then and using โท was a good way to differentiate between สอง and สาม. It sounds like two anyway, and that's because it shared a common origin.

Anyway, enough about the numbering. The important thing are the tones themselves. Here we shall end with a video that helps to make sense of these tones.

Learn-Thai-Podcast.com: Pronunciation - The five tones

The best way to learn the tones, is to practise.

Offline si geena

• Drunk Flower Boy
  • Gong Tao Karma +12/-1
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 09:51:23 PM »
Today, we start on the Thai Alphabets. Like English, there are both Consonants and Vowels. Consonants are like your B, C, D, F, G. Vowels are like your A, E, I, O, U.

For Thai, the first letter of the alphabet is ก. Gor. And like our Singapore education system, if you belong to the A class in the school, you're the brightest group of students. Similarly, good students are usually placed in the ก class.

A quick appreciation of the Thai Consonants is by their Alphabet song. Similar to English, it follows a "A for Apple" "B for Boy" concept.

เพลง ก.เอ่ย ก.ไก่

Now after watching the video, I guess you're wondering why are there 4 consonants making the same S sound? And perhaps why there are at least 6 consonants making the T sound? Yes, that's the slightly tricky part. Often, the consonants belong to different "Classes" Classes play a big part in figuring out tones.

There are 3 consonant classes. Broadly; High, Middle and Low class. We will touch on Middle class next. For now, enjoy a short clip of another video that tries to make a story out of the alphabets. Hopefully, it makes for easier memorisation.

Thai Alphabet ( ก เอ๋ย ก ไก่ )

Offline si geena

• Drunk Flower Boy
  • Gong Tao Karma +12/-1
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 03:10:46 AM »
Setting up to Type Thai

There are 2 ways to type Thai on the laptop and PC. 1 way is to set-up your system so that you can switch the keyboard around to type in Thai. If you have been typing in Chinese hanyu pinyin, you know what to do.

The other way is to use a program like http://www.thai-keyboard.com/ I often use this when I'm overseas and using a foreign computer. Hassle-free.

Anyway, back to the first set-up.

If you're using a Windows set-up, it's quite easy. Just follow these steps.

1. Go to "Control Panel", through "Start"

2. Go to "Regional and Language Options".

3. Under the "Keyboard and Languages" tab, Click on "Change Keyboards"

4. Under the "General" tab, you should be able to Add new languages.

5. Go down the list of languages, and select "Thai Kedmanee", and Click "OK"

6. Under the "Advanced Key Settings" tab, you'll be able to select the keys to change languages. I usually use "Left Alt + Shift", so that I don't accidentally change languages

7. Once you're satisfied, close all the dialogs, and try it out!

If you're not familiar with the keyboard layout, you may refer back to the virtual keyboard, it is identical. Alternatively, you may also purchase keyboard stickers at Pantip that you can overlay your standard keyboard.

Like how we type on the English QWERTY layout, after some practise, you'll find that your fingers know the position of the keys without having to look for it.

SingThaiDisco_V2

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 03:10:46 AM »
MYR1 = THB | SGD1 = THB | USD1 = THB
Currency data courtesy coinmill.com

Namecheap.com

180K pageviews a month. Email us > admin at singthaidisco dot com.

Offline si geena

• Drunk Flower Boy
  • Gong Tao Karma +12/-1
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 04:51:49 AM »
In an earlier post, I had referenced that Thai Consonants fall into 3 classes, High, Middle and Low. We'll work on Middle first since it's generally the shortest list.

The Middle Consonants (อักษรกลาง)
Thai ConsonantOfficial TranscriptionPhonemic TranscriptionExample
กอ ไก่Kor KaiGaw GaiHard G as in Gun, Give. Never soft G as in Gem or Gina
จอ จานCHor CHanJaw JaanJ as in Jewel, Jeep
ฎอ ชฎาDor CHaDaDaw CHaDaaD as in Door, Dog
ฏอ ปฏักTor PaTakDTaw BPaDTakDT as in 的 弟
ดอ เด็กDor DekDaw DekD as in Door, Dog
ตอ เต่าTor TaoDTaw DTaoDT as in 的 弟
บอ ใบไม้Bor BaiMaiBaw BaiMaiB as in Boy, Ball
ปอ ปลาPor PlaBPaw BPlaaBP as in 白 把
ออ อ่างor angaw aangAs consonant, อ is silent

I've structured the table with Official Transcription, i.e., this is usually how it's spelled if you have to read road signs. However, I've also added a Phonemic Transcription, which is more faithful to how it sounds. The Official Transcription doesn't work very well, if you expect English sounds to transcribe directly. For example, Koh Samui can be written as Gaw SaMui, Koh Phuket as Gaw PuuGet. Too often I hear Phuket spoken as Fookit!

And as usual, we will use some videos to accompany our lesson.

Thai - Middle Consonants by Khun Kruu Noot

Middle Class Consonants
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 02:35:20 AM by si geena »

Offline Wind in my breath

• THAI LANGUAGE TEACHER
  • Gong Tao No More!
  • Gong Tao Karma +72/-5
  • Thai language noob
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 11:13:53 PM »
these are the very 2 sites that i referred to very frequently last time.. hehe

very very useful indeed. vulgarities included.

The book Outrageous Thai is also very good. Contains lots of slang, swear words and forbidden vocab. If can remember even 1/4 of the book, can definitely cast GT on the Thai gals liao.  ;)
Not interested in TDs. Do not jio.

Siam Religious Banner