Supreme KTV, Far East Shopping Centre Ken WeChat Banner SingThai Line Stickers, Tryst Teerak, Club Tryst, Teerak
Uber, Grabtaxi, Singapore SingThai Shirt, Rubba, I feel like pablo, kanye west, yeezy

OUR MOTTO & DISCLAIMER: ONE MAN'S PRATA, IS ANOTHER MAN'S PIZZA.

ONE MAN'S MEAT, IS ANOTHER MAN'S POISON.

January 17, 2018, 07:11:17 PM

Author Topic: เกรง ใจ Kreng Jai  (Read 1724 times)

Offline 2017

• STD
  • Chief Gong Tao Counsellor
  • Gong Tao Karma +1167/-1000
เกรง ใจ Kreng Jai
« on: April 08, 2016, 12:05:28 AM »
Does anyone know more kn this?

Technically it means consideration.

But it goes on a much deeper level. It can be considered an art of handling one's self in Thailand.

An example, is how to reciprocate a favour from a senior. It seems you have to reject then accept.

To me, it seems to be part of their "Ai Mai Ai Mai" style as well. I want or I do not want. Can any seniors elaborate more?

Offline Wind in my breath

• Gong Tao No More!
  • Gong Tao Karma +72/-5
  • Thai language noob
Re: เกรง ใจ Kreng Jai
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 02:43:15 AM »
Ya, Bro 2015. I agree with you on the consideration part. This greng jai thingy is a multi-faceted concept imho.

Many Thais do not ask for help cos they don't want to trouble or intrude upon others. So in work, if they face any problem, they just keep quiet and not ask for help which leads to more or bigger problems in the end. Thais won't turn up uninvited at another Thai's house because it will cause them inconvenience.

Another related concept to greng jai is probably face. If you ask someone for help at work because you cannot manage, then you lose face too.

I found something that might interest those who wanna find out more about this mysterious greng jai thing - http://womenlearnthai.com/index.php/thai-culture-understanding-kreng-jai/

Some interesting parts are as follows:
"...if the senior insists on paying for the meal, the junior would not refuse because the junior is supposed to เกรงใจ the senior in this cultural dance. If the junior refuses, the senior would feel bad because he wouldn’t be able to take care of the junior (ego). The senior then wouldn’t have the opportunity to show themselves as a higher power deserving of respect."

A side note: This website has lots of fantastic learning Thai materials for those keen. :)
Not interested in TDs. Do not jio.

Offline 2017

• STD
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 08:36:38 AM »
@Wind in my breath
You are truly knowledgeable, like an ELIGIBLE SON-IN-LAW. The link you posted is indeed interesting and explains the Ai Mai Ai Mai / Dance of Denial. :P

"If someone takes up the offer right away, then a Thai could get the idea that the person is too quick to accept (and might even want to be taken care of). In Thailand, by being reluctant to take what is offered, you are showing that you have the ability to take care of yourself.

It’s all about personal dignity. In order to blend in with Thai culture, showing self-respect in this way is a Thai dance worth learning."
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:39:36 AM by 2015 »

SingThaiDisco_V2

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 08:36:38 AM »

• Gong Tao No More!
  • Gong Tao Karma +72/-5
  • Thai language noob
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 08:50:45 AM »
No luck in being any son-in-law. Still hoping for a miracle. ;D

Offline 2017

• STD
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 09:08:16 AM »
No luck in being any son-in-law. Still hoping for a miracle. ;D

Jing wor... you so upz, understand their culture inside out. :P

• Gong Tao No More!
  • Gong Tao Karma +72/-5
  • Thai language noob
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 11:20:51 AM »
The real veterans are the ah peks hanging around GM. :) I once told a Thai friend I wanna know more about Thai culture and enrolling in Chula's programme. He told me that if I wanna really know Thai culture, I gotta stay in LOS, which is very true.

SingThaiDisco_V2

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 11:20:51 AM »
MYR1 = THB | SGD1 = THB | USD1 = THB
Currency data courtesy coinmill.com

Namecheap.com

180K pageviews a month. Email us > admin at singthaidisco dot com.

Offline 2017

• STD
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 11:25:26 PM »
The real veterans are the ah peks hanging around GM. :) I once told a Thai friend I wanna know more about Thai culture and enrolling in Chula's programme. He told me that if I wanna really know Thai culture, I gotta stay in LOS, which is very true.

555555555555555555 Then I should buy a place near GM, everyday go GM hangout with the Ah Peks. I thought I can learn from Thai saliva too.

Chula that should be International Programme, they split between local and international. It will be more expensive. $$$$$$$$$$$

• Gong Tao No More!
  • Gong Tao Karma +72/-5
  • Thai language noob
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 04:31:42 AM »
If I can remember correctly, it's a Master in Thai Studies for international students. They conduct field trips to government agencies and other places. A wide range of modules are covered including Thai history, culture, politics, language etc. ;D

Siam Religious Banner