SingThai Line Stickers, Tryst Teerak, Club Tryst, Teerak Uber, Grabtaxi, Singapore
SingThai Shirt, Rubba, I feel like pablo, kanye west, yeezy

OUR MOTTO & DISCLAIMER: ONE MAN'S PRATA, IS ANOTHER MAN'S PIZZA.

ONE MAN'S MEAT, IS ANOTHER MAN'S POISON.

September 23, 2017, 04:01:45 AM

Author Topic: The Meaning of the term 'GIG' or 'GIK'  (Read 23546 times)

Offline tn43430

• Gong Tao Victim
  • Gong Tao Karma +19/-4
  • Now super pissed off by ICA, f__k U ICA~!~!~
    • Email
Re: The Meaning of the term 'GIG' or 'GIK'
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 07:27:18 PM »
read through "The 10 Laws of Being a gik", sounded like a gig is just like a toy to the person, for certain period....

just hope in future if someone fooling around with different people, n the other parties discover about it, u just don't say: U"RE JUST MY GIK/GIG !!"  :( :(

Offline prince186

• Gong Tao Zombie
  • Gong Tao Karma +64/-104
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 10:21:41 PM »
No many people aware their status as begin a gik, unless you are a thai, what I believe those coyote/singer will not revealed their intention. But what I can say we SG man, are more to roberto rather then gik.

My 2 satang. ;D

Offline geNe

• Gong Tao No More!
  • Gong Tao Karma +158/-4
  • ThaiSing
    • geNe's Shared Folder
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 12:00:08 AM »
from what i know, they dont ask someone to be their gig... but through the feelings.. the thais know that they are gig or bfs gfs... No formal questions asked to be GIG anot so...

for us SGPreans, we are not known to this GIG culture so the GT will not say anything and they will treat us like GIGs without realizing that we do not know this term... and when we asked them are we gf bf... a 'NO' will stunned you for that moment... like.."wth... that night... *stutter*... i thought we... *teary eyes action begin*... those no feeling?..." That's it man... whole sky fall... *classical music plays aloud i the background*...
NEW!!![geNe's Thai Songs]
[geNe's Movies & Lakorn]

A password has been set.

PW: geNeMusic & geNeMovies

SingThaiDisco_V2

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 12:00:08 AM »

Offline Mai Mee Tang

• Gong Tao Zombie
  • Gong Tao Karma +209/-4
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 02:01:04 AM »
Qing tian pi li!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brumppppppppppppppppppppppppp...........
I think Singaporeans also knows wat is GIG la... U watch TV, see frm friends, heard from them, movie or go clubbing u can see alot ma.. Is juz that we dun understand the Thais, though they may look quite 'Naive' from their sweet looks and smile... 

Offline super super girl

• Drunk Flower Boy
  • Gong Tao Karma +5/-4
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 02:25:17 AM »
Qing tian pi li!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brumppppppppppppppppppppppppp...........
I think Singaporeans also knows wat is GIG la... U watch TV, see frm friends, heard from them, movie or go clubbing u can see alot ma.. Is juz that we dun understand the Thais, though they may look quite 'Naive' from their sweet looks and smile... 

i think you have too much to learn.

gik you know already. now you must know smile.

----------

The Thai Smile

We all know about the legendary Thai smile. That smile – called “yim” in Thai – is a most captivating tool disarming the most cold-hearted foreigner. Deep down though that famous smile is more of a self-defense than a deeply felt expression of the heart.

Take following incident: Somebody is killed in a car crash. Thai people will surround the crash site within minutes – and smile. Not because they think it’s funny what is happening. But because the undeniable tragedies of life are so invincible that only smiling prevents from being driven crazy on the very spot.

Every visitor to this beautiful country is quickly stricken by the smiles and politeness of the Thais. Foreigners easily lose their composure. Thais keep on smiling.

The positive thing though being, even Thais start poking fun at their overworked “Land of Smiles.”

Or take following examples: A Thai appears an hour late for a meeting. And smiles. Somebody commits suicide. The bereaved smile. Heavy rains destroy a year’s crop. The Thai farmer smiles. Somebody gets fired. And smiles.

Some years ago there were even TV-shows in Thailand making fun of disabled people. How the crowds roared. Foreigners looked on in shock. Thais though had the time of their life. Because those stuttering deformed cripples gave everybody the feeling of being nice and beautiful.

Because first and foremost: Everybody in Thailand worships the virtue of beauty. The face-lifting smile therefore is a kind of “social cosmetic” to hide bitter truths. How can you be happy when the average income is a meager $200 a month?

The person wants to appear better, more beautiful, nicer and friendlier than truth would allow. And to remain civilized even during most pressured times indeed is a virtue. Which leads to avalanches of misunderstandings when dealing with foreigners.

Thai people do not want to burden others with their own problems. Because Thai families and clans generally live together in cramped spaces. There is hardly any room for individuality, much less for ones own problems.

Inconvenient truths therefore are most often not even communicated, as one does not want to cause pain.

Avoid telling your neighbor that you may have seen his wife cheating. Avoid it, because you yourself may even be blamed for it.

Better to keep quiet and smile – which is quite incomprehensible for outsiders, because damages may even become far greater by avoiding and escaping the truth.

It is most simple: The smile is a way of expression for things that are not easily expressed. Smiles are a simple other language: A body language.

The smile is perceived as being just about the most appropriate “answer” to any possible situation. It’s used to show happiness, embarrassment, fear, tension, resignation, remorse. Just imagine how many different smiles there are in Thailand! For foreigners they look all the same, but for Thais their smiles offer an amazing array of shadows and tones:

- yim tak tai: The polite smile, used for strangers

- feun yim: The “I-am-forced-to-smile-even-I-do-not-want-to” smile

- yim cheuat cheuan: The winner’s smile over a rival

- yim tang nam dtah: The truly happy smile

- yim tak tan: The “sorry-you-are-wrong-again” smile

- yim sao: The smile masking sadness or unhappiness

- yim mee lay-nai: The evil smile

- yim cheun chom: The admiring smile

- yim yor: The arrogant smile

- yim mai ork: The forced smile

- yim yair-yair: The smile to apologize and take the heat out of an awkward, embarrassing situation

- yim hairng: The nervous, apologetic smile

- yim soo: The “it-cannot-get-any-worse-therefore-I-better-smile” smile

And who wants to blame foreigners to be blind to this rich variety of body signals. Thais understand the realities behind a smile immediately and act accordingly – without speaking about it. As Thai culture is not a culture of words like in the West, where great philosophers were fundamental to the rise of its empires.

Western culture is all about easily understandable and reliable assurances such as “yes”, “no”, “I believe you” or “I don’t”. Westerners need and trust confirmation by words. Not so Thais. Thais may say “yes” and smile, but every Thai knows what is really meant: “No”. Or perhaps: “Maybe. Or: “Not yet sure.”

What makes the Thai language a minefield for outsiders. As it is tightly inter-connected with the body language. The worlds of “true” and “untrue” are inseparably intertwined. What makes the Thai smile a mechanism to hide shark teeth.

The smile and politeness are simple reflections of that reality where nothing is really real, but flexible and constantly changing.

One is therefore allowed to life in whatever reality one chooses. Smiles are a great tool to hide flaws and mistakes. Some may call it “tolerance”, if tragedies happen but nobody really interferes. In truth those smiles are the desperate attempt to remain untouched by life’s tragedies and enjoy a maximum of psychological independence.

What explains the huge amounts of tolerance in the Kingdom. One hardly cares about the other’s life. To be tolerant means not to be infected by the other’s hardships and troubles. And if it is clear from the very outset that nobody really criticizes anybody, then everybody is allowed to act with a certain amount of self-respect.

Irony and sarcasm therefore are completely unknown in Thailand. One does not confront the other. One talks about issues that are relevant and helpful for the other.

One does not challenge the other. At schools, no student fails. Teachers have to give good enough grades – as the failure of the child would imply the failure of the child’s whole family and clan.

The younger generation slightly changes though, Thailand slowly becomes a more competitive society. But deep down the leaders of tomorrow remain too tightly dependent of their mothers and fathers who still live the old ways.

Politeness and non-interference remain highest virtues. Meaning: Do not question a person’s authority, do not contradict and always listen politely, even though you’re bored to death. If you try to be your own important self, you’ll be an isolated loner in Thailand.

If you contradict, formulate it in a way that offers the opponent a face saving way out. Most important: Do not raise your voice. Speak softly. And smile. And praise your opponent. And you’re as Thai as they come.

Only if you really tried everything shout and use the proven Western method of getting things done. You will cause shock and awe though – nevertheless decorated by smiles.

Just don’t care too much about the other and what people think about you. Don’t get too near. Don’t speak Thai to well. As especially the language remains a last frontier between the Thais and those ever criticizing foreigners.

Mastering the language you are about to master their psychology. And so much dirt would get dug up. As Thais clearly know about all the social shortcomings. But by now we know why they smile about it.

Criminality is at major levels in this society. As there are no release valves to get rid of pressures and pains.

Not that it is an art to kill smilingly. But always be on alert when facing a smile. There are hidden messages to be understood. You’re not smiled at because your beautiful or nice. You’re smiled at because it is the only way to make you – that big, strange foreigner – less strange.

Now don’t think too much. Smile.

Offline Mai Mee Tang

• Gong Tao Zombie
  • Gong Tao Karma +209/-4
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 03:25:48 AM »
Next lesson is wat super super girl?

SingThaiDisco_V2

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 03:25:48 AM »
MYR1 = THB | SGD1 = THB | USD1 = THB
Currency data courtesy coinmill.com

Namecheap.com

180K pageviews a month. Email us > admin at singthaidisco dot com.

Offline af22

• Gong Tao Victim
  • Gong Tao Karma +65/-13
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 03:42:10 AM »
thank you super super girl for the lesson
+GTK you
我在siam diu的情梦, 夜夜心中只有你一人.

Offline MrAte

• Gong Tao Zombie
  • Gong Tao Karma +33/-7
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 04:08:47 AM »
so would they admit to their bf or gf that they have gigs? or isit common knowledge that it is not uncommon that thai people have gigs?

Siam Religious Banner