Supreme KTV, Far East Shopping Centre Ken WeChat Banner SingThai Line Stickers, Tryst Teerak, Club Tryst, Teerak
Uber, Grabtaxi, Singapore SingThai Shirt, Rubba, I feel like pablo, kanye west, yeezy

OUR MOTTO & DISCLAIMER: ONE MAN'S PRATA, IS ANOTHER MAN'S PIZZA.

ONE MAN'S MEAT, IS ANOTHER MAN'S POISON.

January 22, 2018, 05:27:38 PM

Author Topic: Setting up company in Bangkok  (Read 4194 times)

Offline 2017

• STD
  • Chief Gong Tao Counsellor
  • Gong Tao Karma +1167/-1000
Setting up company in Bangkok
« on: March 06, 2014, 09:25:38 PM »
Hi Forumers,

I am looking at the feasibility of hiring a programmer in Bangkok. Any advice? Some of the replies might have been covered before.

1. How best to setup company? And how to pay this programmer? Open UOB bank account? Minimum amount?

2. Usage of virtual office or co-sharing space? Any to recommend?

3. Employee and company taxes?

4. Management and culture issues? I do not speak Thai.

5. Average pay for a programmer? Should be around $1100 per month? Correct me if mistaken.

6. Anyway to reach out to students or interns to work at a lower cost?

Or just hire on freelance but I am thinking that a freelancer will not be committed and programming can be a complex task with many bugs and unseen work.

Offline geNe

• Gong Tao No More!
  • Gong Tao Karma +158/-4
  • ThaiSing
    • geNe's Shared Folder
Re: Setting up company in Bangkok
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 10:33:56 PM »
Bro, I try to answer as much as I can and from what I know. It may or may not help you.

Hi Forumers,

I am looking at the feasibility of hiring a programmer in Bangkok. Any advice? Some of the replies might have been covered before.

1. How best to setup company? And how to pay this programmer? Open UOB bank account? Minimum amount?

Setting up company in Thailand may not be an easy step. I'm actually working for my friend who set up a factory here in Pak Chong. As I'm thinking, your company may not be as complex as setting up a factory because Factory, we need to apply for factory permit, construction permits etc. Need to bribe off local government offices, villagers etc. As we are located at Pak Chong, we would need to set up meetings to talk to the Korat main offices as well.

For your part, it may not be as complex as your company could just be an office. Office may be you can just rent it without any work permit and so forth. You probably must have a Thai partner whom you can trust to settle this for you, it would be easier.

Paying for your programmer, you can actually use cash payment first if it is urgent. Once your company is properly set up, meet up with the bank people to check regarding having a company bank account and employees bank account. You have to set up this personally first as your employees bank account isn't much of the importance as of now. Once you set up with the bank let's say SCB or Kasikorn, they will provide you with the information and 'token' for you to use. As this is a company's account, different users have different access. This you will set it up with the bank personnel. Best if you have an accountant to handle this for you.

For eg. Your accountant will have access to issue out payments like buying of things from customer or salaries but you would have to log in and approve the payment before it can be transferred. Something like that.

Once everything is set up, then you can ask your employee to open a bank account with the same bank as you. Remember to open the bank at the same location as you open the company bank account if not there will be charges. There are many charges in Thai banks. ie. Open bank account in BKK but withdraw cash from Pak Chong there will be a 180thb charge. Open a bank account only need about 500thb.

Not really sure on this one. Probably search for rental offices in BKK

See if your company is it BOI registered company. If so, you might have better benefits. Taxes you can check it with them. They usually have agents to settle most of the stuffs for you but... it's all about the $$$. More $$$ they will be faster....

Management: Girls, Super gossipy... Guys, gossipy.
Cultural: Their working standard is less than half of us SGPrns. They live day by day kind of thinking. They dont really think far ahead about what's coming up. Once they meet up with a problem, they will be very creative to figure out something to solve their problem for that 5 min or half a day but they never realized that this solution may cause even bigger problem in future. Not sure in BKK but i believe people in BKK SA higher abit..

They will not say 'No' to you especially you are the boss. When asked if they understand, they will say yes and do the wrong thing once they turn their backs to start working. Refer to this article: http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/news/394157/reforming-thai-attitudes-in-the-workplace

5. Average pay for a programmer? Should be around $1100 per month? Correct me if mistaken.

$1100 i suppose it's SGD. Sounds abit too highly paid. My accountant manager is being paid like $25,000THB per month. Directors Assistant is being paid only like 18,000THB per month. Their average starting pay for a so-called our 'diploma' standard is 16,000THB. Then some jobs will have commission etc which probably makes their pay not more than 25,000THB. But of course it will depend on places and areas. Maybe in BKK is higher.... My foreman is being paid like only 14,000THB per month. Of course it would have to depend as well on what kind of programming you're talking about. ;)

As how much you wanna pay for your programmer, do check out the rates in jobthai or other employment websites. You can get a rough figure from there.

Yes. Post in jobthai. You might get some response esp in BKK.

Or just hire on freelance but I am thinking that a freelancer will not be committed and programming can be a complex task with many bugs and unseen work.

You can try hiring the programmer on contract basis instead. He will be paid a quarter month in advance first and once he finishs the job in that month, pay him the rest. Pay him an amount he is surviving bare minimum cos if he gets a comfortable advance pay, he might just do a f__k up job and leave. Hiring on a contract basis is better than a daily wage person. Thailand is quite common for daily wage workers BUT these workers will leave anytime. Must understand that Thai people like to work at a comfortable speed. I see my office staffs complaining about how stressful they are but most of the time they surfing facebook and Line. A little bit of work add on they stress out already. They cannot handle stress. They have poor management skills, poor planning of tasks.

This is more or less what I think from what I see and from what I know. I may be wrong as well. If anyone have better solutions to your questions, please feel free to help instead of flaming me on how wrong my details are. It's my own opinion only.

Good Luck to you Admin... Feel free to ask me again if you have further doubts. I help what I can. If really that important and I do know, then I can help you check it out because setting up this factory and helping my friend out, I can see that it's not easy... but like I've said before, if yours is an office, it should be easier.

Note: You can actually rent an apartment and transform it into an office. Cheaper. My Office now is actually a rented hostel near my factory as my office building is under construction now.
NEW!!![geNe's Thai Songs]
[geNe's Movies & Lakorn]

A password has been set.

PW: geNeMusic & geNeMovies

Offline Octopuss

• Gong Tao Karma +1357/-108
  • 八爪
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 10:27:34 PM »
+gtk to u Bro geNe.

I know no sh_t about setting up business in Thailand, but definitely spells headaches to me...

Respect to those Bros setting up offices & factories at Thailand~ 

Attacku~!

SingThaiDisco_V2

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 10:27:34 PM »

Offline astreal

• Drunk Flower Boy
  • Gong Tao Karma +12/-0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 03:35:24 AM »

You need company registration 2 million baht capital paid to revenue department as a form of guarantee , VAT registration and foreigners can't own a company fully, the board of directors need to 51% Thai, 49 % foreigners. Alternatively you can do a joint venture with a Thai company. You need 2 thai employees for the first year and 4 subsequently in order for you to get your work permit and non immigrant b visa. You need a both work permit and visa irregardless if you station in Thailand or not as you need a director with the right paper work to sign for all documents. Unless you decide to add a Thai to be one of the director. There are companies that can assist with all your business setup but expect to pay 200,000THB to 250,000THB for their services. Kind of expensive but for non thai speaking investor, they hardly have a choice.

Office space in Bangkok are relatively cheap and easy to find. You can get one in town area 80 square meter for about 23,000THB or less. Better to come by yourself and look via foot on the ground.

Social security for employees, you withhold a certain percentage of employee salary for taxes every month pending on their wage level. As for company taxes, small companies 17% with revenue less than 1 million THB and 20% for more than a million. 

Yes you will have many issues but a good manager will have no problem adapting themselves. Over time you will get the hang of things.

It's about there and there about. Just remember, you pay peanuts you get monkeys, if someone is willingly to take very low wages, you have to ask why. Why would someone good not ask for more or work for a bigger firm. In Thailand their level of good can be quite different from Singapore, i am not too sure about programmers but what i know is Thais can be technically good and sound but what they lack is critical thinking.

Interns work for free in Thailand or very minimum sum, but you still have to employ four full time staff eventually.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 03:37:13 AM by astreal »

Offline 2017

• STD
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 12:51:27 AM »
GTK to bros Gene and Astreal~~~

Seems like programming cannot do there right? Only design maybe, the more creative arts~~~

Thank you for your insights.

Offline 2017

• STD
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 12:53:26 AM »

You need company registration 2 million baht capital paid to revenue department as a form of guarantee , VAT registration and foreigners can't own a company fully, the board of directors need to 51% Thai, 49 % foreigners. Alternatively you can do a joint venture with a Thai company. You need 2 thai employees for the first year and 4 subsequently in order for you to get your work permit and non immigrant b visa. You need a both work permit and visa irregardless if you station in Thailand or not as you need a director with the right paper work to sign for all documents. Unless you decide to add a Thai to be one of the director. There are companies that can assist with all your business setup but expect to pay 200,000THB to 250,000THB for their services. Kind of expensive but for non thai speaking investor, they hardly have a choice.

wow 2million is quite a lot... board of directors still need to be Thai.

It does not seem to be easy to hire Thais. Have to find workarounds for freelancers...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:55:28 AM by admin*xposed »

SingThaiDisco_V2

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 12:53:26 AM »
MYR1 = THB | SGD1 = THB | USD1 = THB
Currency data courtesy coinmill.com

Namecheap.com

180K pageviews a month. Email us > admin at singthaidisco dot com.

Offline 2017

• STD
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 01:16:58 AM »
I am thinking... if do a mobile app, that involves funds transfer to Thailand, is it feasible to use Paypal? From online information, Paypal seems to be used in Thailand, not sure how frequently a normal girl in Bangkok or Korat will use it differently?

Offline geNe

• Gong Tao No More!
  • Gong Tao Karma +158/-4
  • ThaiSing
    • geNe's Shared Folder
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 02:02:07 AM »
Paypal is trustworthy to use.. just that if got any cock ups, the process very troublesome...

Within Thailand and those Thais living abroad, they use online bank transfer for overseas and ATM interbank transfer locally...
NEW!!![geNe's Thai Songs]
[geNe's Movies & Lakorn]

A password has been set.

PW: geNeMusic & geNeMovies

Siam Religious Banner